I’m a Magpie
1. I’m watching my friend Jason’s cats while he’s in Argentina for a month. Their names are Charlie and Chester, and they are the oddest little things. Chester likes to stare at the bedpost for hours. Charlie has a nobbly little mid-length tail (he’s not a manx: it’s half as long as a normal tail), [...]
1. Petra Haden’s cover of “Don’t Stop Believin’”: (She also covered the entirety of The Who Sell Out. And she’s Charlie Haden’s daughter. And I’m a little obsessed right now). 2. The black jeans I rediscovered in my closet while looking for my purple plaid short pants. New Pants! 3. R.W. Knudsen Spritzers (if you’d [...]
1. Allowing myself a weekend off, even if it means that this Grace in Small Things thing is protracted over 365 weekdays. 2. Finding my other orange argyle sock in the dryer, after I’d given it up for lost. 3. The way that Shelby-dog clambers up onto my chest when I lean down to greet [...]
1. Walking out of the Flood Building into the rain, feeling all film noir. 2. Letting people read my fiction, and hearing good things about it. 3. Watching my housemate’s cat go absolutely nuts over one of my pony tail holders. 4. Wearing a jaunty white scarf, as if I were battling the red baron. [...]
1. The delicious fungal smell of Buena Vista Park on a foggy day. 2. Sliver gray blue gum branches standing out against the bright green leaves of the surrounding trees. 3. The normally stoic dog totally losing his mind in a pile of dirt. 4. A Christmas wreath hung from a tree beside said dirt [...]
For the next 365 days, I’ll be participating in Schmutzie’s Grace in Small Things project, an project highlighting the small good things that happen everyday. As Schmutzie writes, “The world we live in is loud and harsh and bright and demanding, and it is easy to slide into a less than thoughtful survival mode in [...]
I'm a librarian. Special skills include dog charming, brochure writing, slapdash cooking and long-winded nattering. I also enjoy watching the sunset's reflection in the tall buildings downtown.
For a while there, I taught classes on Classical literature, philosophy, and the history of religion at New College of California. I have an MA and an MFA in Writing, and live on a boat in Sausalito, CA.